Remember, it is start. The character will undoubtedly evolve, as the story evolves, and in the process the writer evolves to. Now it has been soo much evolvement. Lets get to the starting point. Developing a character :
First of all start by asking yourself some questions about him/her;
- What is his/her occupation?
- What is his/her family like?
- Is the character in a relationship? What is his/her partner like?
- What is his/her home like? And the neighbours?
- Does he/she have any hobbies? What does he/she enjoy doing?
- What is his/her greatest strength?
- What is his/her greatest weakness?
- What is his/her deepest desire?
- What is his/her greatest fear?
- What is something this character desperately change about himself/herself?
- What is something this character doesn't know about himself/herself?
That being done, the last and equally important exercise (Which I enjoy the most). Write his/her morning routine of an average day. With all details and aspects, from does he/she get up from alarm easily or not? What is their gussy up routine at the morning? Do they exercise to start their day? What kind of breakfast do they have?
After all those exercise, you will be surprise yourself seeing how much you character has matured.
That being said, please share with me your ways to build a character in comment box :D